Monday, December 27, 2010

When it snows, it pours

I need to add one more thing to the list of things we take for granted: our cars!
As a Venetian, I am almost ashamed to admit my dependency on wheels, but that is part of my split personality.  I just lived without a car for two months and didn't miss it one bit.  Now that I am back in Massachusetts, though, I can't live without it...  It goes with the territory.
The string of unfortunate events that started with the boiler failure, followed by the soot invasion and the loss of electricity in Nick's room, continues unabated.  On Christmas day, uncle Mark called to let me know that he had inadvertently backed into my car at Leslie's Christmas party.  I couldn't take a look at any potential damage, I told him, since Nick took the car immediately upon returning from the party.
The car hasn't been back in my driveway since.  It is currently sitting at the Subaru dealer, where it was slated for an oil change today.  One day too late, as it turns out.  Now, instead of changing the oil, I have to change the whole engine instead...
When it rains, it pours.  Actually, it has been snowing here for the past 24 hours. When it snows, it blizzards.
It would be way too easy to blame Nick for this additional, expensive surprise ($5k).  After all, the car conked out while he was at the wheel...  And he "should have" noticed the boiler had stopped working before I came home just 5 days ago.
There is no point in trying to find a culprit here, though.  It wouldn't change how things are right now.  One has to accept, and move on.  I must be shedding some bad Karma...  And lots of money that I really don't have.  Money that could have gone towards buying Nick his own car.  So he can have a job and learn the value of money.
Oh well. It looks like we'll be vying for the use of the same old car -- with a brand new engine -- when we return from Santa Fe.  Nick says he'll plow snow to repay me when we get back.  We'll see...

Now, I'm gonna book us a limo for Wednesday so we can leave this mess behind.
I'll deal with picking up the car when we return on January 15th.

Then I am going snowshoeing to clear my mind.
Then I'll hopefully jump into my neighbors' hot tub.
And try to forget these earthly woes.

Festina Lente!

No comments: